News and Document archive source
copyrighted material disclaimer at bottom of page

NewsMine9-11suspects — Viewing Item


Spanish court throws out 911 conviction { June 1 2006 }

Original Source Link: (May no longer be active)
   http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/01/AR2006060101045.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/01/AR2006060101045.html

Spanish Court Throws Out 9/11 Conviction

By MARIA JESUS PRADES
The Associated Press
Thursday, June 1, 2006; 3:05 PM

MADRID, Spain -- Spain's Supreme Court on Thursday threw out an al-Qaida suspect's conviction for conspiracy to commit murder in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, weeks after prosecutors acknowledged the evidence against him was weak.

The court upheld a separate conviction against Syrian-born Spaniard Imad Yarkas for belonging to a terrorist organization.

Before the ruling, Yarkas had been the only person in the world with a standing conviction over the Sept. 11 attacks after a trial. Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person charged in the United States, pleaded guilty in April 2004 and was sentenced to life in prison in May. He did not stand trial. A Moroccan convicted in Germany in 2003 was later acquitted on appeal.

The Supreme Court also confirmed the acquittal of three other suspects accused of belonging to or collaborating with al-Qaida. Moroccans Driss Chebli, Sadik Merizak and Abdelaziz Benyaich had already been released in April at the request of prosecutors.

The court announced only its verdicts in the Yarkas appeal and the other cases, not its grounds for the decisions. The explanation is expected to be released in a few days, court officials said.

Yarkas is alleged to have founded and led an al-Qaida cell in Spain, which investigators say was a key staging ground for the attacks along with Germany. He was one of 18 people found guilty of terrorism charges in a trial that ended in September 2005.

Yarkas was sentenced to 15 years for conspiracy to commit murder in the Sept. 11 attacks and 12 years for belonging to a terrorist organization. He was the only person at the Spanish trial convicted specifically of Sept. 11 involvement. Chebli and one other man facing charges of planning Sept. 11 were acquitted.

Yarkas appealed his convictions. In April, a new set of prosecutors different from the ones at the first trial asked the Supreme Court to overturn his conviction in the U.S. attacks, citing a lack of evidence.

A three-judge panel of a lower court that returned the initial ruling against Yarkas in September said he was innocent of a more serious charge of being accomplice to mass murder. But it found him guilty of "conspiracy with the suicide terrorist" Mohamed Atta, the lead hijacker, and other members of the Hamburg, Germany-based cell that staged the Sept. 11 attacks.

The sentence said Yarkas "knew of the sinister plans" for Sept. 11 and "assumed them as his own, receiving regular updates on the preparations that preceded the attacks."

However in April, prosecutor Fernando Sequeros said that while Yarkas was an "evil" man who embraced al-Qaida's ideas, there was no firm evidence he took part in Sept. 11 planning.

He said the proof presented against Yarkas at the trial _ his phone number was found in an address book located at Atta's Hamburg apartment, and Yarkas was once wiretapped while talking to a man who spoke about aviation classes _ was "inconsistent, almost nonexistent."

Sequeros said it might be argued that Yarkas knew of plans for Sept. 11.

"That is one thing," the prosecutor said. "But it is another thing altogether to say he planned it and assumed the conspiracy as his own."
2006 The Associated Press


atta
binalshibh
flying-skills
hamburg
hijackers-alive
khalid
moussaoui
paper-evidence
15 years 911 conspirator
19 suspects named { September 14 2001 }
911 cases proving difficult in germany { December 13 2004 }
911 hijackers trail left deliberately for fbi
911 widows want able danger investigation opened
Abdelghani Mzoudi [jpg]
Accused terror leader condemns 911 attacks { April 26 2005 }
Aljazeera interviewed
All 911 data leads to fbi dead ends { January 17 2006 }
Bin laden moroccan bodyguard released by pentagon { January 30 2006 }
Case against 911 suspects in spain is weak { April 22 2005 }
Charges against 911 plotter weak { July 18 2004 }
Charges dropped against a 20th hijacker { May 14 2008 }
Chertoff framed 911 on alqaeda { February 15 2005 }
Court releases moroccan 911 suspect { December 11 2003 }
Evidence trail leads to florida { September 13 2001 }
Fbi arabic names { October 23 2001 }
Fbi has new 20th hijacker
Fbi informant Ali Mohamed close to 911 terrorists
Fbi informant helped pentagon hijackers open bank account
Fbi informant was hijackers landlord
Fbi names 19 { September 15 2001 }
Fbi threatened family of 911 suspect { October 25 2007 }
Federal probe finds guards mistreated 911 detainees
Friend of pentagon hijackers released to yemen { August 10 2004 }
German appeals court upheld mzoudi acquittal
German court clears 911 suspect
German court sentences suspect again after lack of evidence
Hijacker father says picture has no resemblance { September 25 2001 }
Hijacker questioned
Hijacker says he is not the hijacker
Hijackers lived with FBI informant
Hijackers of flight77 set off metal detectors
Hijackers rented atlanta plane
Hijackers trained at US military schools { September 16 2001 }
Hijackers visa express program started 3 months before 911 { August 6 2002 }
Interrogation of new 20th hijacker detailed in time magazine { September 11 2001 }
Jarrah story no sense { October 23 2001 }
Jazeera reporter convincted for connection to 911 { September 26 2005 }
Jordianian student acquitted in 911 perjury case { November 17 2006 }
Married to alqaeda
Men sprewed anti american sentiments
Moroccan sentenced in germany denies 911 involvement
Nabil almarabh { September 4 2002 }
No arab suspects have links to 911
Omar saeed 911 mastermind brit intelligence agent { May 27 2008 }
Pentagon forbades officer 911 testifying
Public library computer { September 17 2001 }
Qaddafi says london terrorist safe house { October 25 2001 }
San diego student connection to hijackers case mistrial { May 4 2006 }
Saudi citizens
Senator asks fbi to investigate secret military int unit { August 26 2005 }
Shady evidence implicates codes expert { January 30 2004 }
Spain charges moroccan in connection with 911 { September 11 2001 }
Spain suspect denies knowledge of terror cell { April 25 2005 }
Spain trial of 24 muslims with 911 links
Spanish court throws out 911 conviction { June 1 2006 }
Spanish prosecutors seek 222k yrs for qaeda suspects { February 14 2005 }
Subject flees
Supreme court rejects appeal over secret 911 detentions { September 11 2001 }
Suspect freed from lack of evidence now jailed again { November 17 2006 }
Suspect in germany denied knowing anything 911 { January 9 2007 }
Suspects in daytona beach strip club night before
Syrian convincted in 911 attacks with weak evidence { September 26 2005 }
Terror suspect admits he met binladen { April 9 2003 }
Top 911 suspect was granted visa { January 27 2004 }
Top alqaeda member captured { May 1 2003 }
Tracing trail of hijackers [pdf]
Two suspects rented from anthrax victim { October 15 2001 }
Uk pliot wrongly accused sues fbi { September 16 2003 }
Worlds only 911 convinct wins retrial { March 4 2004 }
Yemeni fugative 911 { July 14 2002 }

Files Listed: 72



Correction/submissions

CIA FOIA Archive

National Security
Archives
Support one-state solution for Israel and Palestine Tea Party bumper stickers JFK for Dummies, The Assassination made simple