News and Document archive source
copyrighted material disclaimer at bottom of page

NewsMinesecurityterror-suspectsguantanamo — Viewing Item


Detainee tribunals { November 18 2002 }

Original Source Link: (May no longer be active)
   http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2778-2002Nov17.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2778-2002Nov17.html

Military Trial Plans Nearly Done
Bush to Decide Which Detainees Will Be Tried by Tribunals

By Susan Schmidt and Bradley Graham
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, November 18, 2002; Page A10


The government is nearly ready to go forward with military tribunals for suspected al Qaeda operatives in U.S. custody in Guantanamo Bay and Afghanistan, pending completion of final details and approval from President Bush, according to federal officials.

Pentagon General Counsel William J. Haynes II has met in recent weeks with senior officials in other agencies, including the Justice Department, to outline the plans that have been put in place for the tribunals, also known as military commissions.

The moves, officials said, confirm the government's intention to put al Qaeda prisoners on trial in special military courts in the near future. Until now, U.S. officials have been preparing rules and regulations for the tribunals, but have suggested that they were unsure if the military courts would ever be used.

Bush will make the decision about moving forward on specific cases.

The military proceedings currently are contemplated only for a small number of prisoners held in camps outside the United States and would be conducted outside this country, sources said. Only a small number of the approximately 625 detainees in the U.S. Navy prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and the 100 or so in a U.S. military compound in Bagram, Afghanistan, are ever likely to be taken before a tribunal, they said. It is not clear which detainees may be the first to face trial.

Though there has been speculation that accused Sept. 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui might be moved from federal court in Virginia to a military tribunal, Justice Department officials said there is no plan to do so now.

The decision to push forward with tribunals comes at a time when U.S. interrogators have gained information from a number of high-profile detainees that may prove useful in prosecuting other al Qaeda operatives.

Among those in U.S. custody who have been providing significant information is Abu Zubaida, the high-ranking al Qaeda leader whose information led to the apprehension in Chicago earlier this year of Jose Padilla, who was allegedly in the United States to scout targets for an attack with a radiological bomb. Two others, Omar al-Farouq, the alleged Southeast Asia facilitator for al Qaeda, and Muhammad Darbi, an alleged member of a Yemeni cell, have provided information about al Qaeda plans and personnel in those regions, government sources have said.

More recently, interrogators have been questioning Ramzi Binalshibh, who admitted his role as a planner of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in an interview with the al-Jazeera television station this fall, shortly before his capture.

Moussaoui, who is accused of conspiring with Binalshibh in the Sept. 11 attacks, has said he wants to call Binalshibh as a witness in his trial. That prospect, coupled with the recent decision of Justice Department officials to take a more active role in the handling of his case, has led to the theory that federal officials will move to dismiss the case and put Moussaoui, who is defending himself with the aid of court-appointed lawyers, before a military tribunal.

But government sources said the Justice Department has no interest in doing so. Because Moussaoui is in this country, he could try to fight such a move in federal court. That could open the tribunal process to a constitutional challenge, something the Bush administration wants to avoid.

Instead, the government continues to debrief Binalshibh, taking advantage of the delay in Moussaoui's case granted by a federal judge who ruled the defendant needs more time to prepare his case. Moussaoui is now scheduled to go on trial in June.

Counterterrorism investigators may need months to debrief Binalshibh and would not want a trial appearance in the United States to interrupt that process, government officials said. They also may want to ensure that Binalshibh is not able to publicly reveal information that could be useful to al Qaeda.

Bush originally called for the special military proceedings in an executive order last November, and in March, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld released a preliminary set of regulations to govern them.

The tribunals would be held amid extremely tight security, U.S. officials said, with some witnesses possibly testifying from remote locations or with electronically altered voices. Defendants will have the right to see evidence against them, unless it is classified, and will be given military counsel. A two-thirds majority of judges is required for conviction, but a unanimous vote is needed to impose the death penalty.

Pentagon attorneys are in "the process of identifying potential key personnel" for the military commissions, according to a senior defense official. The official would not specify which personnel are being screened, but the military must select judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys before a tribunal can be held.

The senior official stressed that the screening should not be taken to reflect a decision to proceed with the military commissions, but said it is necessary for the Pentagon to be in position to move ahead should the president decide to do so.

Pentagon lawyers are also drafting final implementing regulations needed to initiate the military tribunals. Officials in the Pentagon general counsel's office said they are completing work on specific charges that could be lodged against defendants. U.S. officials have said previously that the charges would include violations of the laws of war and possibly other offenses.

The president would need to designate those taken before the tribunals by name.

Staff writer John Mintz contributed to this report.




2002 The Washington Post Company



abuse
dissent
innocence
interrogation
19 detainees freed { March 24 2003 }
375 detainees at guantanamo not yet charged { April 3 2007 }
Afghan 15 years old had good time in guantanamo
Afghanistan to house new guantanamo jail { January 6 2006 }
Amnesty report calls gitmo gulag of our time { May 25 2005 }
AP observes guantanamo detention center
Arabs sold to guantanamo for bounties
Attempt suicide { August 15 2002 }
Australian hicks may have struck deal { December 6 2003 }
Blair wants britons back
British ex inmates sue rumsfeld for torture
Britons on guantanamo to be released in weeks { January 11 2005 }
Camp x ray
Children held guantanamo bay { April 24 2003 }
Cia runs prison within prison { December 17 2004 }
Commander relieved { October 14 2002 }
Court hears handling of detainees
Denies detainees court { August 1 2002 }
Detained pow photos
Detainee tribunals { November 18 2002 }
Detainees have some powerful friends { November 14 2003 }
Detainees innocent { December 22 2002 }
Detainees unaswered questions { November 22 2002 }
Enemy combantant { August 14 2002 }
Executions may be carried out at guantanamo { January 25 2006 }
Fair gitmo judge is replaced by military { May 31 2008 }
Family finds guantanamo suspect since 1996 { February 25 2004 }
Gauntanamo eyes execution chamber { June 10 2003 }
Gitmo detainees of little security value { June 21 2004 }
Gitmo released then is suicide bomber { May 7 2008 }
Growth of detention base
Guantanamo bay death trials { May 24 2003 }
Guantanamo laywers fired { December 3 2003 }
Guantanamo prisoners were experimented on
Hunder strike called serious by red cross
Lawyers for 13 detainees at guantamo bay challenge detentions { July 3 2004 }
Liberty guantanamo { October 24 2002 }
Loses appeal against due process { March 12 2003 }
Not entitled hearing { March 12 2003 }
Ontheir knees [jpg]
Pentagon ponders detainee transfers { March 11 2005 }
Pentagon wants permanent guantanamo
Pow1 [jpg]
Pow2 [jpg]
Pow3 [jpg]
Pow4 [jpg]
Released documents reveal stories of prisoners { March 4 2006 }
Rice looking forward to guantanamo closure
Ruling stalls prosecution of detainee
Security breaches suicidal detainees guantanamo
Senate strips guantanmo detainees right to sue { November 11 2005 }
Sole spanish prisoner held guantanamo released to spain { February 14 2004 }
Some guantanamo captives free { May 5 2003 }
Supreme court hear case detainees guantanamo { November 10 2003 }
Supreme court will hear first cases involving detainees
Surpreme court appears split on guantanamo prisoners
Swede detained at guantanamo released { July 8 2004 }
Terror detainees will be released
Three guantanamo detainees commit suicide { June 12 2006 }
Three youths returned to afghanistan
Trials to begin for 4 inmates { August 24 2004 }
UN report alleges violations of prisoner rights
Us brings charges to guantanamo inmates { February 24 2004 }
Us could execute british citizens
US hands over french prisoners from Guantanamo
Us releases 26 guantanamo detainees { March 16 2004 }
Us suspends proceedings against britons { July 18 2003 }
Us to release 140 guantanamo bay suspects
Xray inmate saw habib dazed and bleeding { May 22 2004 }

Files Listed: 69



Correction/submissions

CIA FOIA Archive

National Security
Archives
Support one-state solution for Israel and Palestine Tea Party bumper stickers JFK for Dummies, The Assassination made simple